A select group of faculty, residents, and staff from the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine Regional Medical Campus (RMC) were recognized at the 2019 RMC George Paff Teaching Awards Ceremony held May 16 at John F. Kennedy Medical Center in Atlantis.
The RMC George Paff Teaching Awards Ceremony is an annual celebration organized by current third- and fourth-year medical students on the regional campus who nominate clinical educators in a variety of categories.
The late David Withum, Dr.P.H., M.P.H., who died in January, was honored with the Distinguished Public Health Educator Award. Before becoming a voluntary assistant professor in epidemiology and public health at the Miller School, Dr. Withum served in multiple advisory roles in government and as senior epidemiologist at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. His family was present at the ceremony to receive the honor in his stead.
The James J. Byrnes Award was presented in memory of Dr. James Byrnes, an “outstanding physician and educator” who died in 2013 and who was the first Family Medicine Clerkship Director on the regional campus, according to Daniel Lichtstein, M.D., M.A.C.P., who has served as the Miller School’s regional dean for medical education since 2010.
“The RMC George Paff Teaching Awards are an opportunity for faculty, preceptors, and residents to be recognized by the students who work and learn by their sides,” said Dr. Lichtstein, who received the Byrnes award.
During the ceremony, students praised their teachers and mentors through personal anecdotes. As an added feature of this year’s award presentations, students also shared stories about the lessons they’ve learned from patients they’ve worked with over the past year.
The following regional campus faculty, residents and staff members were recognized at the ceremony:
- Distinguished Staff Member: Erica Simms
- Distinguished Community Partner: Tooth Fairy Dental Program
- James J. Byrnes Award: Daniel Lichtstein, M.D., M.A.C.P.
- Distinguished Clerkship Director: Sarah Bland, M.D.
- Distinguished Emergency Medicine Educator: Nishma Sachedina, M.D.
- Distinguished Neurology Educator: Teresita Casanova, M.D.
- Distinguished Public Health Educator: David Withum, Dr.P.H., M.P.H.
- Distinguished Family Medicine Educator: Daniela Capota, M.D., D.P.M.
- Distinguished Integrated Medicine Educator: Jason Yarsley, D.O.
- Distinguished Integrated Medicine Resident Educator: Stan Ivanov, M.D., M.P.H.
- Distinguished Integrated Surgery Educator: William Caskey, M.D.
- Distinguished Integrated Surgery Resident Educator: Marcus Eby, M.D.
- Distinguished OB/GYN Educator: Dudley Brown, Jr., M.D., M.B.A.
- Distinguished Pediatrics Educator: Bobby Kumar, M.D.
- Distinguished Pediatrics Resident Educator: Nicole Molinos, M.D.
- Distinguished Psychiatry Educator: Irl Extein, M.D.